Of Holy Baptism
26 Lord's Day
A. Thus:That Christ appointed this
external washing with water,(1)
28:19 Go ye
therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father,
and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
16:16 He that
believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not
shall be damned.
(3) Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the
wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
2. What did holy
3. What does the
water in baptism signify?
4. What is done
with the water?
5. To what does
this immersing or sprinkling point?
significance does holy baptism then have for a true believer?
A. It is to receive of God the remission of sins freely, for the sake of Christ's blood, which He shed for us by His sacrifice upon the cross;(1) and also to be renewed by the Holy Ghost, and sanctified to be members of Christ, that so we may more and more die unto sin, and lead holy and unblamable lives.(2)
12:24 And to
Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that
speaketh better things than that of Abel.
1:33 And I knew
Him not: but He that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me,
Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, the
same is He which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
2. In what does
the justification by Christís blood consist?
3. In what does
the sanctification consist?
4. In what way
will this certainly become evident with those who may experience it?
A. In the institution of baptism, which is thus expressed: "Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost",(1) And "He that believeth, and is baptized, shall be saved; but he that believeth not, shall be damned."(2), Mark 16:16. This promise is also repeated, where the Scripture calls baptism "the washing of regeneration"(3) and the washing away of sins.(4)
(1) Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
(2) Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
(3) Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.
(4) Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
2. What is stated
in Matthew 28:19?
3. What is stated
in Mark 16:16?
4. What is holy baptism called in Acts 22:16 and Titus 3:5? The washing away of sins and the washing of regeneration.
5. Does baptism
itself then wash away sin?
27 Lord's Day
A. Not at all: for the blood of Jesus Christ only,(1) and the Holy Ghost cleanse us from all sin.(2)
3:11 I indeed
baptize you with water unto repentance: but He that cometh after me is
mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: He shall baptize you
with the Holy Ghost, and with fire.
(2) 1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the
light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the
blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin.
2. What is
involved in the overvaluing of holy baptism?
3. Why must holy
baptism be administered?
4. What is the
result of overvaluing holy baptism?
5. What is
involved in the undervaluing of holy baptism?
6. What does the
A. God speaks thus not without great cause, to wit, not only thereby to teach us that as the filth of the body is purged away by water, so our sins are removed by the blood and Spirit of Jesus Christ;(1) but especially that by this divine pledge and sign He may assure us, that we are spiritually cleansed from our sins as really as we are externally washed with water.(2)
(1) Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the
faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the
kings of the earth. Unto Him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in
His own blood.
(2) Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is
baptized shall be saved;
2. Of what is it
3. What does the Lord seal unto His people in holy baptism? That they are as certainly spiritually cleansed from their sins as they are externally washed with water.
A. Yes; for since they, as well as the adult, are included in the covenant(1) and church of God;(2) and since redemption from sin(3) by the blood of Christ, and the Holy Ghost, the author of faith, is promised to them(4) no less than to the adult; they must therefore by baptism, as a sign of the covenant, be also admitted into the Christian church, and be distinguished from the children of unbelievers(5) as was done in the old covenant or testament by circumcision,(6) instead of which baptism is instituted in the new covenant.(7)
17:7 And I will
establish My covenant between Me and thee and thy seed after thee in their
generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy
seed after thee.
(2) 1 Cor
the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving
wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now
are they holy.
(3) Matt 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto Me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at His birth.
(5) Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that
these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as
(6) Gen 17:14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken My covenant.
2:11 In whom
also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting
off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ.
2. Where does
Godís Word clearly teach us that baptism has come in the place of
3. What takes
place in holy baptism?
4. What is
necessary for every baptized person?